Sunday, May 10, 2015

Tournament Report: Astra Militarum & Space Wolves


So yesterday I went to a local tournament and got some games in, the first in probably 4+ months, its been a while.  I took a Space Wolf/Imperial guard army to try out a few fun ideas, and suffice it to say, I did ok.  There were a lot of strong armies there, so it was a tough fight.  First game was flyrant spam, with 3 flyrants and carnifexs in tyranocytes, plus mucolids, raveners, and a few other griblies.  Second game was against white scar bikers and last against destroyer cult decurion detachment.  No one was holding back thats for sure.

I brought yarrick, a platoon with two squads w/autocannons, two demo squads, a melta pcs, wyvern, 6 bullgryns, and primaris in my IG.  I took the wolves unleashed detachment and brought a wolf priest, dreadnought with hellfrost, blood claws in stormwolf, two FA drop pods, and grey hunters in drop pod.  Basic plan is that demo squads drop in the pods for an alpha strike.  Wolves unleashed allows you to choose one reserve each turn that automatically comes in so I could ensure the flyer or grey hunters arrive when I want them too.

first game I played the flyrant list.  He null deployed with his spore mines and mucolids in the back, everything else in reserve.  I got turn one and pretty much wiped what he had on the board, except for a few spore mines I couldn't see.  Turn two mopped up some more and got malestrom pts, taking the relic.  He came in pretty heavy on turn two, with raveners, all his carnis, and two flyrants coming in.  The storm wolf was killed, not doing much and two blood claws survived.  Rest of the game as a melee in my back field as he tried to take the relic from my bullgryns, ending up failing.  I killed two of his carnis, all of the tyranocytes and about half of the raveners.  Game ended up with a win for me, winning on the primary and tertiaries.  He did not land his flyrants soon enough so they never got into combat with my bullgryns.



Didn't take any pics of second game.  But I lost this one.  He had a full up white scars army, got first turn.  I did some damage with the demo charges, but he was rolling jink saves like a boss and I had some bad scatters.  Rest of the game was just trying to hold on, though in the end I just couldn't kill enough bikes.  Had the game gone a few more turns, the bullgryns and wyvern might have turned the tide, but ran out of time due to my rustyness, so can only blame my self for that one.  Failed a few key charges with the dreadnought and I could never get past the jink saves, he rolled 3s like a boss.

Last game was against destroyer cult decurion.  Lots of destroyers with two squads of warriors in arks and tomb blades and immortals in croissant.   This game the bullgryns would not go down, they were in a 6 round combat with his warlord and destroyers, neither really doing much to each other, we each would do a wound or two a turn, but with my armor saves and FnP from the wolf priest, I lost only two bullgryns over the game.  I only killed 3 destroyers, as he made res saves like a boss too, so it was a long slap fight.  Otherwise the rest of his army mopped up mine over the 7 turn game, I just couldn't have past all the saves.  The storm wolf only got lucky against one ark, one shotting it, while the other took shots all day, laughing it off.  My melta pcs got pinned early, then getting wiped by the tomb blades.  the wyvern got revenge, but ended up dying to the croissant.

End of the day, I couldn't hold in and couldn't hurt enough of him and he took a solid win.  Had the game ended on 5, I actually could have won, as I would have had a couple of tertiaries and the secondary.  But alas the dice gods abandoned me and it went to 7 turns.






Over all though it was fun, had some great opponents and fun games.  The bullgryns were just beast, taking so many shots and dealing out damage where they could.  I need a better melee character to go with them, so thats of not for the future.  I'll drop the demo squads.  Something I wanted to try out, but not worth it, they are situational and not cheap enough for one shot weapons.

anyways, have a great mothers day all!

GG

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had some fun games, even though they didn't all go your way. You said about you might have won if the game ended at turn 5. I had a similar situation recently so I share your frustration over when that happens. I was playing a maelstrom mission with my Guard against Chaos marines and deamons. By turn 6 I still had about 1/3 of my force left alive, so quite afew models and tanks. All my opponent had left was 1 chaos space marine all on his own. My vendetta failed to kill him missing 2/3 shots even with twin linked, and the one that did hit I rolled a 1 so failing to kill the final enemy model on the table. The game then ended with me on 12 points and my opponent on 13. If not for the unlucky vendetta rolls, or if the game had gone to 7 I would have tabled him. Not to mention some of the D3 tactical cards I got only 1's on. Still very fun game and that is the way of the dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, the dice roll that way sometimes. It happens

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I was hoping to see how some suicide demo squads would do and, sadly, this was about what I figured. How'd the Blood Claws do for you? Were they too tied to the Stormwolf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I was hoping for better results, part of it was I just had bad matchups so nothing was really vulnerable to them. They did fine, the trick is playing the wolf right and dropping it into hover at the right time. First game it got obliterated by flyrants before I could drop them out, thats life. Other games though the blood claws did fine, killed some white scars and destroyers.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to see how IG can do against such "death star" opponents.

    You said you had only 1 platoon. I thought FOC required two Troops units?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree, I have found bullgryns to be worth it, they only need a little support and with FnP they become very tough to kill. Unless a monster cc unit come along, they are very hard to take down. The drop pods and demo squads will be gone, freeing up more pts, I like the storm wolf, it just didn't do great in the games I played here.

    ReplyDelete